College Ride FAQ

College Ride Pilot Program

Frequently Asked Questions

Who is eligible for the College Ride Pilot Program?

Any students enrolled at one of the following schools:

  • California Lutheran University
  • California State University at Channel Islands
  • Moorpark College
  • Oxnard College
  • Ventura College
  • University of California at Santa Barbara
  • Santa Barbara City College
  • Ventura County Adult Education Consortium (VCAEC)
    • Moorpark Adult School
    • Oxnard Adult School
    • Simi Institute for Careers and Education
    • Ojai Adult School
    • Santa Paula Adult School
    • Fillmore Adult School
    • Conejo Valley Adult School
    • Ventura Adult and Continuing Education (VACE)

When does the program start and how long does it last?

The College Ride Program is a pilot program that is continuing until June 2024.

Can I use any bus in Ventura County?

Yes, all following operators are participating:

  • Camarillo Area Transit
  • Gold Coast Transit District
  • Kanan Shuttle
  • Moorpark City Transit
  • Ojai Trolley
  • Simi Valley Transit
  • Thousand Oaks Transit
  • Valley Express
  • VCTC Intercity Transit Service

How will the driver know to let me on the bus for free?

You will need a valid student ID in order for the driver to let you board for free. For CLU, OC, MC and VC, IDs should have the current year dates and students will show their ID to the driver. CSUCI students will need to activate their IDs by going to the Transportation Office and will tap their ID on the farebox when boarding. If a student wants to ride the bus at the beginning of the year before they get their ID, they can show the driver their class schedule.

Do I have to be going to/from school?

No, you do not. You can travel anywhere, for any reason on any bus operator in the county.

I’m travelling to a VCTC Zone 2 destination, do I have to pay an additional fare?

No, show the driver or tap your valid student ID and you may board the bus for free.

Can I ride Metrolink or Amtrak for free?

No, the College Ride Pilot Program only lets you ride public buses in Ventura County.

Can paratransit users ride dial-a-ride services for free?

No, other than Valley Express and Camarillo Area Transit (CAT) dial-a-ride services, passengers will have to pay the full fare.

What if I already bought a pass, can I get a refund? 

Unfortunately, no you cannot.

If I attend one of the eligible schools, can I still ride free if I don’t live in the county?

Yes, as long as you have a valid student ID, you may ride free.

I live in Ventura County but attend a college outside the county; can I still ride the bus for free?

Yes, if you attend UCSB or SBCC, you are eligible to ride Ventura County bus operators for free.

Any questions? Please call 1-800-438-1112 or submit comments through